Early Childhood Education
Over 80% of a child’s brain develops in the first three years. As a community, we need to take advantage of this critical window by providing universal access to quality early childhood care and education.
September 5, 2014
A group of early childhood professionals were convened to discuss how to better improve early childhood development in Doña Ana County. At this convening the Early Childhood Education leaders began to strategically plan the development of this document.
December 5, 2014
Many of the same leaders came together to develop the vision statement. The group narrowed their decisions to three options.
February 25, 2016
A group of over 50 participants from 20 organizations attended a convening to continue working on the Early Childhood Plan. Specifically, the group addressed Fully Integrate Systems and identified the following: shared outreach, centralized intake, shared referral sources, shared data and technology, and cross-training workers as way to integrate systems.
The following strategy goals were developed at a convening on September 5, 2014.
- Increase Public awareness and knowledge on the importance of early childhood development and early childhood education.
Fully Integrate Learning Systems
- Create and sustain an early learning system that focuses on building high-quality, comprehensive community programs that form a continuum of services for children and families of Doña Ana County.
Access to Early Childhood Education
- Provide equitable, affordable, and attainable access to every child and family in Doña Ana County to seamless high-quality early learning systems.
- Support and sustain a workforce of quality early childhood educators and professionals.
Parent and Family Engagement
- Increase parent and family engagement in their child’s development and education.
- Develop evaluation, accountability, and outcome systems and measures.
Early Childhood Center
- Establish an early childhood learning center that includes innovative learning activities and a one-stop-shop.
- Ensure comprehensive maternal health services including pre-conception, pre-natal, pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum period in order to increase health and developmental outcomes for children and mothers.
Infant Mental Health
- Promote and support parents and their families to develop healthy and nurturing relationships for all infants and toddlers.